Friday, March 4, 2011

Tutorial: Tooth Fairy Pillow

Okay! Let's make a little pillow!

What you'll need:
2 squares (these are 4.5", my first pillows were 6.5") main pillow fabric front and back
1 square (same size as the others) for pillow pocket
1 piece 3"x13" for hanging strap

fiberfill/stuffing

sewing machine, thread

All seams are 1/4" unless otherwise noted.

Take your pocket square and fold in half (wrong sides together) and press.

Press your strap fabric in half lengthwise.

Then open and press bottom and top to the center as shown above.

Finally, fold in half again and press closed.

Top stitch along both edges of your strap.

Top stitch along folded edge of pocket. I did two lines here, just because I like how it looks.

Lay your pocket on top of your pillow front fabric.

I stitch along the edge at about 1/8" to hold everything in place.

Next, center your straps and pin in place.

Stitch the straps to hold in place at 1/8" as well. Then tuck the strap neatly into the pocket to keep it out of the way when sewing the pillow together.

Pin your remaining pillow square (wrong sides together) to the front. Your pocket and strap are on the inside of the "sandwich" now.

Sew around the outside edge using a 1/4" seam allowance and leaving a small opening for turning.

Clip the corners and turn right side out.

Use a knitting needle or turning tool to poke your corners out nicely and give everything a good press.

Stuff with your fiberfill.

And hand-stitch your opening closed. I like to use a ladder stitch because it completely disappears.

You're all ready for the Tooth Fairy!

I made this version smaller than my previous ones just to see if I like the smaller size better. I do want my kiddos to be clear that the Tooth Fairy only leaves a small surprise. I think either version is fine and it really is such a simple project you could make it any size you choose. Just remember to cut all your squares the same size.

Have fun! If you make a Tooth Fairy Pillow for a special kiddo in your life, I'd love to know about it!



1 comment:

  1. Love this idea, even though my babies are 22,18 & 16. Much more convenient for the tooth fairy to reach(we had bunk beds & loft beds). It was often missed because of inconvenience. Have to remember this for nieces, nephews & grand babies!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and answering any questions. Thanks so much for stopping by and spending some time here!