Sunday, July 3, 2011

Summer

Today I spent most of the day outside with the family. We recently had a house guest for a couple of weeks and this was our first weekend being just us again. The kiddos ran all over, got dirt and sand in some very unmentionable places, and are sporting rosy sun-kissed cheeks.

I, on the other hand, am sporting some sore thumbs and fingertips from shelling a bucketload of pecans. Actually, only half a bucketload. There are more to be shelled at some later date.


Seriously, these are some tough nuts to crack! I think I finally found a method that works for me but does involve the use of a hammer as well as a nutcracker. They were brought to us fresh from Oklahoma, where my sister-in-law gathered them to bring to us.

Some of these will be making their way into a pecan pie and the rest into homemade cinnamon buns. Yum!

Wishing everyone here in the States a safe and happy Independence Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments and answering any questions. Thanks so much for stopping by and spending some time here!